The highlights of this release are:
- twist, a new command line tool for running Twisted plugins, similar to twistd but with a simpler, cleaner interface.
- A new interface for Protocols, IHandshakeListener, which tells Twisted to tell the Protocol when the TLS handshake has been completed.
- async/await support for Deferreds, allowing you to write Python 3.5+ coroutines using Twisted
- Trial can be invoked with "python -m twisted.trial".
- All Twisted executables (trial, twistd, etc) are now Setuptools console scripts, meaning they will work much better on Windows.
- 35+ more modules ported to Python 3, and many many cleanups on the way to Python 3 on Windows support.
- All the security fixes of Twisted 16.3.1 + 16.3.2 (httpoxy, HTTP session identifier strengthening, HTTP+TLS consuming sockets)
- 240+ closed tickets overall.
You can find the downloads on PyPI (or alternatively our website). The NEWS file is also available on GitHub.
Many thanks to everyone who had a part in this release - the supporters of the Twisted Software Foundation, the developers who contributed code as well as documentation, and all the people building great things with Twisted!
Amber Brown (HawkOwl)
PS: Twisted 16.4.1 will be coming soon after this with a patch mitigating SWEET32, by updating the acceptable cipher list.